Sunday 28 August 2011

Fishy fishy fishy fish.

I have been living in Ireland for almost a year now (how time flies) and realised the other day that I had not been proper fishing yet. A couple of times I have put out a line behind a boat that the mackerel have chosen not to bite at (bastards), but I had not been fishing with a rod.


This situation needed an immediate remedy and I managed to persuade my friend FF to take me out today with his girlfriend ER (royal dont you know?).


I got to Seaforde just before 5 and we went out in a rowing boat. FF showed me the basics and we started casting away hoping to catch some fish. 




FF was using what looked like a small fish with hooks attached and I was using what is known as a spoon bait which looks like a table spoon with a three pronged hook on the end. 


We were out there for about an hour before one of us got a bite. Just my luck it was FF who got the first one. After a battle of 5 or so minutes he successfully hauled in a 10 pound pike - a veritable monster.




I felt like it would soon be my time and it was only a matter of minutes after FF had put his pike back into the lake that I got what felt like a bite, quickly followed by confirmation that I had a fish on my hook - Woohoo! Get in there my son! Heave it in.


My battle with the fish was over a lot quicker than FF's and I initially put this down to my superior strength. After only a minute I had landed my fish onto the boat and it soon became apparent that my muscle power had nothing to do with it. FF's fish had definitely been trying to eat his fish-like bait. My fish had other ideas and must instead have been trying to make sweet fish love with my spoon-like one.




We're definitely not gonna need a bigger boat!!

No comments:

Post a Comment