Thursday 7 April 2011

Cregagh Glen....

....I have been busy working away and have been spending a lot of time in a place called Cregagh Glen. It is pretty much in the middle of Belfast, just off a main road, and is a valley with a little stream running along it with mature trees on steep banks on both sides. Tristan and I were there to survey all of the trees on behalf of the council to make sure any defects were noted so as to avoid any falling on members of the public - if at all possible.




It is really well hidden so not too many people know about it. Kids use it to get to one of the local schools and quite a few locals walk their dogs there so we were constantly treading in dog poo - which was nice. 


I have been able to see the Spring arrive, watching buds opening up, and one of the things I think is coolest is ferns unrolling - 




As many of the trees are situated on very steep banks, Tristan and I had to use ropes to abseil down to them to tag and inspect them. Lucky for me Tristan is an expert tree climber and outdoor activist so I felt in good hands and even learned a lot of useful knots and techniques for mountain climbing etc. This is me getting ready to go over the abyss (FYI it was raining and my waterproofs are super high viz, I wasn't going out partying straight from work unfortunately) -  




It has been really useful with my tree recognition. I can now tell the difference between Beeches and Sycamores, Elm and Oaks. Below is a prime example of one of the healthy male Beech trees that the Glen has to offer -




We quickly realised that the local kids used the park for all types of fun and did not have as much respect for the trees as we had hoped. As well as trees that had been graffitied upon, there were ones in various stages of being chopped down and plenty that had been set on fire and that were only just still standing - 




Unfortunately it meant that we have to condemn these trees that have been living for hundreds of years to be felled, even if they are still just about alive.


It was not always raining I am pleased to announce and we had quite a few nice days too. This photo shows that I dont have to wear full high viz all the time - 






From this vantage point I took a photo of Tristan for his collection and as I was taking it I noticed something incredible. Look carefully and you can see in the background the lair of a large animal of some kind - 




This required some further inspection so closer I went. As I got nearer and nearer I got more and more excited as it became apparent that this was a genuine leprechaun den. I had seen some grainy pictures of abandoned dens before but dont know anyone who had ever actually seen one in real life, and there have only been rumours of unconfirmed sightings of the actual creatures.  




I decided to inspect it even more closely and was making my way over when I got the surprise of my life. Not only have I now seen and photographed a leprechaun's den but as I was getting really close I was amazed to find that this was an active den. 


I was about five feet away when from out of the darkness a leprechaun appeared. It snarled viciously at me, and before I had time to react, it had disappeared as quickly as it had appeared.


It was only later when I looked back through my photos that I realised I must have had my finger on the trigger of my camera at the time. Not only had I seen a leprechaun but I had taken the only photo of one in existence. I am in negotiations with the National Enquirer - just my luck that the Sunday Sport has gone bust this week - and think that I will be a millionaire within the next few days. LL is very happy about this. 


So just for you guys. Apologies it is a bit blurred.  




A 100% genuine Irish Leprechaun.  

No comments:

Post a Comment