Tuesday 22 February 2011

Chainsaws in Ballycastle

For the past week I have been in Ballycastle doing my CS30 and CS31 Chainsaw course hoping it would help me get a proper J.O.B.


Ballycastle is a small town on the North East Coast of Northern Ireland, famous for being close to the Giant's Causeway, and also for being the place where pubescent Northern Irish kids come for a Summer tennis camp at which most experience inappropriate contact with the opposite sex for the first time.


I was staying in a lovely B&B with this as the view that met me on my way out each morning.




On Tuesday I decided to go to the pub to watch the mighty Spurs take on the minnows that be AC Milan at the San Siro. On the walk to the pub this is the dog that tried to bite me....






...and I also got a good idea of what the local Spides (aka Chavs) were like when I saw, or actually heard before I saw, a Peugeot 306 coming down the road that had been lowered so far that it's exhaust was literally dragging along the road. Pretty sweet. 


Spurs went on to win 1-0. Whoopty Wjoop Whoop! On the way back I was speaking to my friend when just in front of me a BMW came flying around a mini roundabout, drifting like something out of Gran Tourismo and revved off up the road into the town at 60-odd miles an hour. For the rest of my walk home I heard the sound of high revs and screeching tyres from all over town. Either Ballycastle is a town full of boy racers or the driving instructors around here need to spend more time concentrating on clutch control.



I have never stayed in a place that gives you bed pans before. 



It felt like European Vacation and I had to do everything within my power to stop myself partaking.


The course was great and taught me loads - how to maintain and service a chainsaw and then how to cut down small trees dealing with whatever obstacles they can throw at you. 







They let us loose on a commercial site where Sitka Spruce had been growing for 40 odd years. We cut down a bunch of trees each and set up the world's biggest game of pickupsticks.




There were big machines working away picking up logs that already been processed. A lot of machinery for processing timber comes from Europe and for some reason they give them hilarious names. 


I can really see myself driving around in one of these - 




I am pleased to say that I got my certificates and even more pleased to say that since coming back I have called a local tree surgeon company who has offered me a job. I start work at ungodly o'clock on Monday - Woohoo to the max!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment